Saturday, April 24, 2010

Break time

I'm taking a much needed break from my American Lit. paper on Beloved.  I'm writing about the expression of maternal devotion within socially acceptable boundaries, the intersection of race and motherhood, and the overall contradictory depiction of motherhood within the novel as Sethe gives and takes from her children.  The last time I read Beloved was exactly two years ago at this time as I prepared for the AP Lit. test.  I kind of want to avoid reading the novel ever again because it's so unbearably depressing and haunting.  I think that's why I'm having such a hard time crafting this paper.  Beloved gives me the heebie jeebies!

This last week of school is draining me, and it hasn't even begun yet.  I'm falling into that pit of academia again, the one where I start to lose touch with my dear family and friends because I'm consumed by schoolwork.  Hopefully I can change that tonight and tomorrow morning as I celebrate my Auntie's (well, kinda) birthday.  I forgot to pack pants again, so I'm sitting here in a high-waisted skirt and knee high socks and waiting for the festivities to begin.  Not gonna lie: I kind of look like a girl scout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2009-2013 DAPHNE HO