Thursday, June 30, 2011

go fish

The Fish Bar in Chicago had the most delicious, fresh seafood to fill our bellies.  It was a quirky place with self-serve napkins and utensils and mason jars instead of cups.  It's next door to DMK Burger Bar (their menu looked good too, but we were too full to try any).  The only downside to the Fish Bar: none of the barstools have backrests so it was a little uncomfortable. 

Gumbo (blue crab and andouille sausage)
Nice fat chunks of blue crab.  I always love gumbo.
Fried eastern belly clams served with tartar sauce
These little plump clams were unlike I had ever eaten before.  They're named after their protruding stomachs, but they were a little too salty for my taste.
Octopus a la plancha (black pepper, preserved lemon, olive oil, chilis)
This was immediately devoured.  Grilled to tender, zesty perfection.  I'm pretty sure we were licking the plate clean.
Maine lobster roll with celery mayo
This is the first lobster roll I've ever eaten, and it won't be the last!  One day I'll travel to the East Coast and visit all the places that the Food Network chefs rave about, but this is more than good enough to satisfy me.  They're generous with the lobster and light with the celery mayo.  Ahhhh sooo good!!! 
And while we're on the topic of fish, check out the two steamed fish with green onions and ginger that my dad cooked!  This is a must-have dish whenever I'm home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2009-2013 DAPHNE HO