Friday, June 10, 2011

windy city live!

 Yesterday, my mom and I had the pleasure of being in the studio audience for Windy City Live!  And they ain't kidding- it was filming live!  It was really cool to see all the behind-the-scenes action.  It kind of reminded me of Culture Night.  My favorite part was watching my best friend Jennifer working her magic.  She is an intern there this summer so she was able to hook us up with the tickets, and I am so proud of all the work she has done!
Jennifer, I know you're going to be in Ryan and Val's position some day!  I can't wait for you to have your own talk show heehee.
 The main guest for the show was Rick Bayless.  They showed some embarrassing video footage of him salsa dancing (he's not too bad), and he made guacamole with bacon.  Easy and yummy.  We got free packets of his roasted tomatillo and green chili taco skillet sauce for shrimp or fish.
 We received two free tickets to the B96 Summer Bash concert on Saturday.  We have other plans so I'll be giving the tickets to my friend Carla.  I know she's over the moon about them haha.
 After the show, my mom and I ventured around downtown.  Although the weather was very steamy, there was still quite a breeze from Lake Michigan.  I had to hold my dress down for almost the entire time we were in the city.  When they call Chicago the Windy City, they really mean it.  We concluded our excursion with lunch at David Burke's Primhouse.  I'm not going to lie- I was pretty cranky from the heat, but I'm so glad I listened to my mom and agreed to go.  Mother always knows best!  Primehouse is often featured on Food Network, and I can see why!
See the pretty pink sea salt on the butter?
 Cute and fluffy turnover served in a measuring cup.  Surprisingly, it didn't feel tacky at all!
Sipping on a vodka martini that came with our ShakenSteak combo.  My mom tried the gin martini.  Both were so bitter!  I would've drank more of it if it wasn't like 95 degrees and I had to walk quite a few blocks back to our car.
Small lobster bisque (garnished with applie slices to bring out the sweetness!) with a lightly battered and fried hunk of lobster on the side.
My medium rare 6 oz. petit fiet with truffle oil fries topped with asiago cheese.  The steak was just the right portion and seasoned to perfection!  This was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten.
My mom's medium steak with grilled onions and an assortment of mushrooms.  Again, the meat was melt-in-your-mouth tender.  Sooo much better than Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
Famous cheesecake lollipops (with a side of whipped cream).  They were good, but not amazing.  I'll stick with making my own cake pops!

1 comment:

  1. Omgosh Daphne all of this looks so amazing!! This makes me want to visit Chicago so much...glad to see you're having a blast at home :) And i dunno if it's just me, but Rick Bayless seems really good-looking.....hahahha

    ReplyDelete

© 2009-2013 DAPHNE HO