Tuesday, August 9, 2011

world of color

As my last summer hurrah, Josh took me to Disneyland on Sunday night to watch the World of Color show!  We got dolled up in our traditional Peter Pan and Tinkerbell costumes, arrived at around 5:00 P.M., and snagged our tickets for the 10:15 P.M. show.  We only stayed on the California Adventure side, and it was sooo much fun!

We were a little worried that it would be very crowded (we were parked on the top level of the parking structure), but we didn't have to wait more than 30 minutes for any of the rides.  We rode on the new Ariel's Undersea Adventure (it's creepy!  and weird!) and enjoyed the classics like California Screamin' (we were in the last row ahhhhhh) and Tower of Terror.  We also decided to try a lot of new things that we had never been on together like Jumpin' Jellyfish (comparable to a kids' version of Tower of Terror), Golden Zephyr, It's Tough to be a Bug 3D show (we wanted to see Muppet Vision 3D too but the last show was at 5 p.m.), Monsters Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescue, Goofy's Sky School (formerly Mulholland Maddness...same ride, different name and graphics; I like it a lot!), and Silly Symphony Swings.  We wandered around elecTRONica and discovered Flynn's Arcade featuring old school games like the original Tron.

One of my favorite adventures of the day was something neither Josh or I had done before: Animation Academy!  I always love exploring the Animation building and taking "Which Disney Character are You?" quizzes and recording cartoon voiceovers.  Animation Academy is a hands-on show where everyone in the theater has a clipboard and a pencil with no eraser so you can learn to shade and model, just like the pros.  A Disney animator instructs the class from the stage and demonstrates the lesson from her own drawing pad which is projected onscreen.  Each session draws a different character, and you can take your artwork home as a souvenir.  Our class learned how to draw Chip (the class after ours drew Piglet).

The pictures were taken on Josh's phone because I didn't have enough room in my purse for my camera and I was too lazy to haul around a bigger purse.  Anyways, I had so much fun drawing!  I drew Chip with some points of reference though; in middle school, I used to look through pictures of Disney characters and sketch them for my friends and family.  My mom even has my drawing of Tinkerbell displayed in her office at work.  I was really happy that Josh gave it a try, and I'm so proud of his artwork!  (although as you can see, he wrote "Failblog" under it and proceeded to dump it in the trash soon after this picture was taken).

After devouring four pieces of sample beard from multiple visits to the Boudin Bakery tour within 30 minutes (hahaha we were hungry!), we waited in line for the big show.  Since its debut, I have tried my best to avoid reading or watching anything related to World of Color because I didn't want to spoil it for myself.  We were assigned to the blue section which was kind of close to the water (I'm honestly not sure which area is considered the "best" viewing spot) and we had plenty of room around us to enjoy the show (unlike watching the Disneyland fireworks when you are usually packed like sardines).  My favorites were the Aladdin (I got kind of teary) and Pirates of the Caribbean parts, and of course the finale.  We got a little damp from the constant fountain mist, but the show was amazing and definitely showcased the best moments from the Disney and Pixar classics.  It really tugged at my heartstrings!!
It was the perfect end to a fun day and all-around memorable weekend!  Thank you sooo much, Josh!  I can't wait to go again, yayyyy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2009-2013 DAPHNE HO